Saturday 15 November 2014

Silks to cover the pillars

We started to decorate the set of ‘the temple’ where 47 will do seppuku. The designer decided to cover the pillars with silks with letters.

Went to have a look at pillars and measured.




They were square pillars. Drape ladies made nice rectangular ones with ribbons to tie around and I took them back up to our office.

The Buddhist prayers will be on them.
I was confused with which prayer I should go and at the end, went for the safe choice - Hannya sin gyo (the Heart Sutra) which is used by various sectors.


I covered two office desk with vinyl and worked over it with black paint, rather than sumi-ink.

It was rare for me to work on this scale up in the office but I enjoyed it, and my colleague enjoyed it too. They often teased me, saying

‘The spelling is wrong, there. And there, look.’

True, I am not good at spelling but they never be able to read Japanese!

‘You do it then!’

I thought I can make one first and then take them to the set, put it there to have a look. So that was the first one.


It looked okay but the letters can be smaller as it goes around a square pillar.

TBC...


No comments:

Post a Comment