Sunday 31 August 2014

Lantern craft

Some more lantern stories...


These are photos from still on going Japanese local festivals. Designer must have seen some of those sort and wanted Kira's wedding to be as them.


Even the giant ones... They are from Miyoshi, Aichi. Looks absolutely fabulous.

When we researching the references, came across those.

I've no idea what he is - could be a dancer. I love the astonished boy next him....

 

Some one came to lantern makers to place an order. 
I love the display that you can see all variations and the tools in background - bawls of paste and brushes etc.


Another showcase of variety of shapes and sizes here. Even the umbrellas. Maybe they are similar method and tools to make.


I found this when I was buried the pile of purple lanterns. I started to wonder whether they write letters onto flat paper before they paste it onto lantern shape - but no. Here clearly they are writing on the lanterns. And looks like he is painting in in sideways - along the bones.

You can also see the sign behind them says something ‘sign makers’. They must have been working as the sign writer not only the lantern makers.
I'm wondering they are just the painters / sign writers rather than lantern makers? They could be a separate jobs...

There are letter family (group) called Edo moji. (moji means letters)


They look similar but slightly different each other - Sumo letters for sumo games, Kantei letters for Kabuki plays, Yose letters for Rakugo (comedy story telling),  and Edo letters. Plus beard letters, too.

Also there is a Kago moji for lantern making.
I mentioned it before but they take outlines of letters first and filled in.


I could not figure out how - its very hard to make letters shapes without actually write but Pro's work looks fantastic. Maybe you can trace but I'm not sure - as they said Kago moji has different aspects as they are seen from distance.
(then, so as Sumo, Kantei and Yose, too...?)

I do not these things if I don't take this job. Strange.




No comments:

Post a Comment