Sunday 24 May 2015

more props for the village set

Among the things I dressed or helped making things for the village set were, often, didn't need to be me dressing. I wanted to be in that lovely set, I tried to find any excuses to extend my stay.

Only thing it had to be me is the water storage. Because our farmer's houses were built with wood and paper, it was essential to have emergency water storage in corners in a village.
That was our version of those after we found a reference from wood block print.


‘Water’ character on bottom and a house mark of a village chief on buckets. I pasted paper talisman on corner too to protect our village from fire.

The other things were nothing to do with calligraphy at all.
There was a village shrine at street corner, and they wanted me to dress inside. Could not find any suitable sitting Buddha inside, I decided to have a large rock instead of statue - might have happened at that time, some natural things can be an object of worship.


Neighbors change a cup of water everyday, giving some seasonal vegetables and fruits. Put one ‘Shinto lightning’ too. Mixture of Buddhism and Shinto.

It didn't need to be me at all to make some dried fruits and veg to dress our village houses but I also enjoyed making dried Kaki (persimmon)  and dried radish too!




No comments:

Post a Comment