Sunday 26 April 2015

tatami maker

Tatami is the name for the type of flooring mattress.
Still quite common in Japanese houses, it is a mattress covered with rush.
It has standard size and we often still used it to express how big the room is - i.e. 6 tatami mats etc.


When we were setting the set of a small farming village where Oishi came back, designer wanted to have a different characters to each houses. And one of them was the tatami makers house.



I looked for some references from book shelves and on line search but could not find that many, so took idea from one of the images we found.


Each farm house had a little porch outside, facing towards the street.
So when I worked there I could spot people passing, say hi and started a small chat. Very nice system I thought. It was May-June when I worked there, lots of sunshines. Lovely days of working.


The lantern says ‘tatami’ and they are the shop signs.
The rolls are not mattress at all but the sheet of rush, that would cover the surface of the mattress.

This became one of my favorite sets - even with a strange lantern with kilt of straw!

No comments:

Post a Comment