Saturday 12 April 2014

Rolling!

2011 Summer @ Windsor forest.
But the scene suppose to be in winter. So you have snow covered ground. It was 8am I turned up but its already actors in costume, cameras were stand by and props were all set.

I have worked near by the shooting but it was first time for me to stay and work on the shooting.

Discussed how we proceed with prop men and actors. I made some inks and prepare the papers. Actors who wants to re-check how to sit and hold brush came to sit down in front of the scroll.

We knew they're not going to shoot the scroll itself, that means not their writing themselves. So we decided to have a another layer of paper on top of the scroll so that we were not wasting the actual scroll.

I did not know the word, but when some people shout ‘Rolling!’, that means complete silence. Cameras are rolling so we, the background should not make any noise.
The atmosphere changed.

And then I saw actors moving in front of my eyes.
They were also moving in the monitor, through the camera lens.
Those two things should be the same and they were but
it looked completely different thing.
Very strange.

Tense silence during the shooting, and back to normal in second when the camera stopped.

It took long time to go through.
I had to leave when my part of job finished there. I prepared sumi ink again and left some new papers.

When I looked ‘signature’s on paper, off course Oishi's writing was best but Kai was not too bad, too! And he did not know what sort of character his should be two days ago.
He must have done some practises.
I was simply touched so with the paper I visit him where he was having break.
‘Well done, it looks great’
‘Really? Great!’
He said with big smile. Such a nice guy.

My one day with A-listers finished and went back to make more stuff. Then shortly after, I was contacted by ‘Second Unit’ to do more Japanese calligraphy instructor.

What is second unit?




No comments:

Post a Comment